A few green things going on at Grant:
On October 1st the students will be treated to a wonderful EarthCapades Environmental Vaudeville Performance all about the importance of saving water.
To find out more go to www.earthcapades.com
Kindergarten Yard Tree Planting
This year we are so excited to be working with Treepeople on a project that will create a shade canopy in the K yard by planting 5 beautiful trees. The planting is tentatively scheduled for the morning of November 6th. We will need student and parent volunteers, so look for announcements in the school bulletin. Phase 2 will include planting 8 trees in the big yard.
We celebrate Earth Month in April with extra good deeds that keep our planet healthy. Everyone is encouraged to participate in their own way. Jump start your efforts by joining us in a beach clean up. Look for details in the bulletin.
Walk To School
Through the year we have a number of "Walk to School" days. Participate by walking, biking or scootering to school, if you don't already do so. Don't forget your helmet. Get some exercise, save some gas & lower your carbon emissions.
Greenraising - http://www.greenraising.com/
GREAT ONLINE ECO SHOPPING THAT DONATES A PORTION OF PROCEEDS TO GRANT ELEMENTARY.
Our 10 easy Green Tips for Grant
- Save water by turning off the faucet when you brush your teeth. And remember to brush your teeth in the morning- no bad breath at school.
- Save trees by saving paper- use both sides and how about using your old drawings as wrapping paper?
- Hold on to your balloons- released helium balloons eventually pop and fall back to land, ending up in the ocean where animals mistake them for food. Always put balloons in the trash- after popping them of course.
- Use a broom NOT a hose to clean sidewalks and driveways- help your parents and neighbors save water.
- Recycle your batteries and keep the toxic chemicals out of landfills- bring them to the front office and drop them in our battery containers- we will recycle them for you.
- Pack a zero waste lunch- try to use reusable containers and water bottles and cloth napkins. Challenge yourself and see how little you need to throw away.
- Save energy by turning off the lights when you leave the room remember to do this at home and at school.
- Don’t throw your trash on the ground- Use the recycling and trash bins on campus. Trash in the gutters end up polluting our oceans.
- Walk, bike, carpool or take the bus to school on Fridays- if you can’t do that try and stay out of the car a bit on the weekends.
- Take shorter showers and save water- Showers use 3-5 gallons of water per minute. That’s a lot of water. If your going to sing in the shower make it a short song.