Grant's Great Expectations
As Grant Gecko students, we are committed to being a terrific (TRRFCC) caring community in order to learn in a safe environment for all. We will follow the premises of Character Counts at our school which are based on the following set of shared character traits and values:
Be honest • Be reliable do what you say you’ll do • Have the courage to do the right thing • Build a good reputation • Don’t deceive, cheat, or steal • Be loyal stand by your family, friends, school and community • Be an UPSTANDER
Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant and accepting of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements • Be an UPSTANDER
Do what you are supposed to do • Plan ahead • Persevere: keep on trying! • Always do your best • Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act consider the consequences • Be accountable for your words, actions, and attitudes • Set a good example for others • Be an UPSTANDER
Play by the rules • Take turns and share • Be open-minded; listen to others • Don’t take advantage of others • Don’t blame others carelessly • Treat all people fairly • Be an UPSTANDER
Be kind • Be compassionate and show you care • Express gratitude • Forgive others • Help people in need • Be an UPSTANDER
Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment • Volunteer • Be an UPSTANDER
T R R F C C
TRRFCC: Students can use this acronym to help them remember that people with good character are terrific:
Rules for Good Citizenship at Grant School
- Skateboards, scooters, and roller blades are to remain at home.
- Soda is not allowed at school.
- Fighting will not be tolerated at any time for any reason.
- Children late to school must report to the office. A "late slip" is required for entry into the classroom.
- Cell phones should be off at school, not seen or heard except before and after school. We are not responosible for lost or damaged phones.
- Students always walk in the hallways, moving quietly to avoid bothering other classes
- Students should only be in a room with an adult present.
- Children are to wear comfortable clothing to school.
- Hats are allowed on the playground, but they must be taken off inside the classrooms.
- No open-toed shoes, sandals or other footwear that does not adequately cover the feet.
- T-shirts are fine, but may not have any logo or other "artwork" that is deemed inappropriate for school.
- Girls should be makeup-free.
- Tops, shorts and skirts must be appropriate even when you bend down or raise your hand.
- If any student is not appropriately dressed for school, the parent will be contacted and the child must change into proper school attire.
GOING TO AND FROM SCHOOL
- Students walking to and from school are to use the sidewalks and avoid using alleys and parking lots.
- Streets should be crossed only at crosswalks, and students should be extremely careful when crossing all streets, especially Pico Boulevard and Ocean Park Boulevard.
- Crossing guards at 25th and Pearl, Cloverfield and Pearl, and 23rd and Pearl, will direct and assist students at those locations. Students should always follow their directions.
- Students should not get into conversations, accept gifts or rides from strangers.
- School rules start when you leave your house in the morning until you get back home in the afternoon.
BEFORE SCHOOL/AFTER SCHOOL
- Students should arrive at school between 8:10 and 8:20 a.m. and go directly to the playground. On Late Start Fridays, students may arrive between 9:20 and 9:40 a.m. Breakfast is served at 7:45 on M-Th and at 8:50 on Fridays. Students who come for breakfast must stay in the cafeteria until yard supervision begins at 8:10 and 9:20, respectively.
- If you need to drop your child off earlier, please adjust the time by carpooling with another family or enroll in childcare.
- Students should be picked up after school in front or in back of the school. Use the drop off and pickup areas.
- After school has been dismissed, students leave campus unless enrolled in child care, CREST, Homework Club, Intensive Intervention, or after school enrichment programs as available.
- Only students in 4th and 5th grades may ride their bikes to school unaccompanied.
- Students in kindergarten through third grade students may ONLY ride bicycles to school with a parent accompanying them. All K-3 bicycles must be brought back home by the parent each morning.
- Bicycles must be ridden according to the traffic laws which apply to cars.
- Bicycle riders must obey the crossing guards at all locations.
- Bicycle riders must enter school through the front of the school or the 24th Street gate and walk their bicycles to the bike racks.
- Bicycles must be locked to the racks.
- Bicycles are to be walked anywhere on the grounds or hallways at all times.
- All students are expected to eat lunch either in the cafeteria if eating the school lunch or at the lunch benches, if bringing a lunch from home.
- Students are expected to eat with proper table manners.
- Sodas or glass bottled drinks are NOT permitted due to safety.
- Students in the cafeteria should sit at a table and remain seated until dismissed by a supervisor.
- Table area should be cleaned. Floor under seat should be cleaned. Trash should be thrown in the trash cans. Recycled items should be recycled.
- Students raise their hands to be dismissed.
- Students at the lunch benches may proceed to the playground after cleaning their area and when dismissed by the campus supervisor.
- Students should finish food and snacks before walking and running.
- Food and drinks are used inside the designated eating areas.
- No games of physical contact may be played, such as tackle football, wrestling, tag, etc.
- Students should always follow all adult directions.
- Students should quickly report any problems or injuries to a campus supervisor.
- Students should keep from chasing, teasing, insulting or making any rude comments.
- When a whistle is blown, a student should stop in place and look to see if they are being called.
- Personal sports equipment or toys are to stay at home.
- The school is not responsible for lost or damaged articles.
- Students may not leave the playground or go into the parking lot during lunch or after school without an adult.
- The child care bathrooms are to be used at lunch.
- Bathrooms may be used during the recess period and lunch.
- Students should report any problems in the bathrooms immediately to a campus supervisor or adult.
- Horizontal ladder: the next student in line should wait until the person on the ladder is halfway across.
- Geo-Dome: Inside the dome is not a playing area.
- Parallel Bars: No jumping off or flipping on the bars.
- Climbing Structure; Children should flow in one direction. No climbing up slides. No pushing or shoving while waiting in line.